By: Cheese Your Way
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups of your favourite beer, I find that lighter wheat beers work best
- 4 ounces mature cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces Gouda, freshly grated
- fresh herbs, for garnish
- salt and pepper to season if needed
- large round cobb loaf for serving
1. 1. Heat a large stock pot over medium heat and add chopped bacon. Fry until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain. Reduce heat to low and add onion, peppers and garlic, stirring to coat. Cook for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are translucent, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and add in butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour and cook for 3-4 minutes until flour is nutty and golden. Add in beer and stirring constantly, cook for 5 minutes so the alcohol cooks out and the mixture somewhat thickens.
2. Reduce to a low heat and gradually add the cheese while stirring. Stir until smooth, then fold in bacon and serve immediately. Garnish fresh chopped herbs over top if desired.