By: Donal Skehan
Takes: 15 minutes Serves: 4
- 25g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large head of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 100g 15 fields cheddar, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Add the butter and oil to a medium sized saucepan over a low to medium heat. Once it begins to foam, add the garlic, onion, and potato and fry gently until the onion is soft. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Stir through the broccoli and return to boiling point.
2. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. You check this by piercing it with a fork. Take the pot off the heat and add half the cheese, using a hand blender, blitz until smooth. Season with sea salt and ground black pepper and stir through half the cheddar cheese and taste.
3. Serve the soup in deep bowls with crusty bread and an extra sprinkling of cheddar cheese and plenty of black pepper