By: Clodagh McKenna
- 1 kg russet potatoes
- 250g extra mature cheddar cheese
- 320g plain flour
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 100g Kerrygold salted butter
- 2 tbsps fresh sage, finely chopped
1. For the potato dumplings: cook the potatoes, whole and unpeeled, in very little water. Once cooked, peel and mash them well or put through a potato ricer.
2. Mix in the flour, grated aged cheddar cheese and egg yolks into the potatoes, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until well combined. Shape into three or four balls.
3. Dust the surface with more flour if necessary. Using your fingertips, roll the dough into a sausage about 2cm in diameter. Cut the dough into 2.5 cm pieces, then roll the dumplings against the front of a fork to create ridges. (This will help hold the sauce once cooked.)
4. For the sauce add all ingredients to a pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the potato dumplings. When they have risen to the surface of the water they are cooked, so remove quickly and drain.
6. For the sage butter, place a frying pan over a medium heat and add the butter, when the butter has melted add the sage and cook until it is slightly crispy.
7. Tip the potato dumplings into a frying pan and mix them gently in sage butter sauce. Transfer to serving plates and serve.Previous Recipe