By: Róisín Gallagher, Dublin
Takes: 60 mins Serves: 6
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 red chilli, finely chopped (including seeds)
- 3 tbsps fresh coriander including stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 100g baby spinach
- 250ml water
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 400g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 1 400g haricot beans, drained
- 2 250g tins sweetcorn kernels, drained
- 200g mature Irish cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4½ soft tortilla wraps, cut into quarters
- Small punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / gas mark 6.
2. To make the tomato sauce, heat the rapeseed oil in a large frying pan and fry the garlic cloves, red onion, pepper and chilli.
3. Cook gently for 15 minutes until soft; then add the chopped coriander stalks and season with black pepper.
4. Add the tinned tomatoes and baby spinach allow to simmer gently until the sauce thickens if the sauce becomes too dry loosen it out with some water.
5. To make the filling, mix the drained beans and sweetcorn in a bowl. Add most of the grated cheese, reserving some to sprinkle on the top at the end, and mix together.
6. Start to assemble the lasagne by spreading about a third of the tomato sauce at the bottom your ovenproof dish, then layer on 6 tortilla quarters so that they cover the sauce and overlap slightly.
7. Add a third of the beans and cheese mixture. Repeat this step 3 times.
8. To finish, add the last layer of beans and cheese, nearly all of the remaining tomato sauce and cover with the last 6 tortilla quarters. Spread the very last bit of salsa over the tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
9. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
10. While, the lasagne is cooking, prepare your tomato salsa and guacamole by combining all of your ingredients.
11. To serve, sprinkle over the crumbled feta cheese, sprinkle of pomegranate seeds and lots of fresh coriander.
12. Optional Serving Suggestions: Tomato Salsa, Guacamole, Natural Yogurt, Corn on the Cob, Limes and toasted sunflower seeds.Previous Recipe Next Recipe