By: Donal Skehan
Takes: 30mins Serves: 4
- 1 tbsp of butter
- A bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in 4 pieces
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 150g butter
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 75ml dry white wine (pinot grigot or sauvignon blanc)
- 150g Templegall cheese, grated (any hard or firm local cheese will work)
- Zest of 1 lemon, juice of half
- A small handful of rocket, to garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil to serve
1. Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to steady simmer.
2. Add the asparagus and peas and cook until the asparagus are tender when pierced with a fork, approximately 5 minutes.
3. Drain using a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water.
4. Add 50g butter and the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and gently fry for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the rice and stir until it is coated.
5. Pour in the white wine and let it bubble until nearly evaporated, then start adding the warm stock, about two ladlefuls at a time, allowing it to be absorbed before adding more. Continue to add the stock and stir regularly until the rice is tender and has a creamy coating. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
6. Add the remaining butter, grated cheese, lemon juice and zest, peas and asparagus (keeping back some for garnish) and gently stir though. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
7. Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, cheese shavings and rocket leaves.Previous Recipe Next Recipe