By: Donal Skehan
Takes: 25 minutes Serves: 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450g good quality sausage meat, casing removed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 125ml white wine
- 200ml chicken stock
- 150ml cream
- 450g tagliatelle
- 25g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 x 125g ball buffalo mozzarella
- Very small handful thyme leaves, to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sausage meat, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Fry until golden brown and crisp. This will take at least 10 minutes.
2. Stir the garlic, fennel and fennel seeds into the sausage meat. Cooking until tender, stirring occasionally, this will take about 4-5 minutes. Add the white wine and allow to reduce by half, scrape any residue from the bottom of the pan.
3. Stir through the chicken stock. Reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Stir through the cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes until thickened. Stir through the chicken stock. Reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Stir through the cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes until thickened.
4. Cook the tagliatelle in a large pot of boiling salted water over a high heat, until al dente, approximately 10 minutes then add this to the creamy sausage ragu along with half the parmesan. Stir to coat the pasta noodles in the sauce.
5. Serve the pasta on warm plates, tear over the mozzarella, sprinkle on some of the remaining parmesan, thyme leaves, fennel fronds and lots of black pepper.